This single Lewis Chess piece is based on one of the Bishops found as part of the famous set now in the British Museum's collection.
The chess pieces were probably made in Norway, about AD 1150-1200, and consist of elaborately worked walrus and whales' teeth in the forms of seated kings and queens, mitred bishops, knights on their mounts, standing warders/beserkers and pawns in the shape of obelisks.
They were found in the vicinity of Uig on the Isle of Lewis, the Outer Hebrides, in mysterious circumstances. Various stories have evolved to explain why they were concealed there and how they were discovered. All that is certain is that they were found some time before 11 April 1831, when they were exhibited at the Society of Antiquaries in Scotland.