The Bible in the British Museum
Members' price *
The links between archaeology and the Bible have fascinated generations of archaeologists and biblical scholars who seek documentation of events narrated in the Bible. The British Museum's collections include numerous inscribed objects, scripts and pictorial reliefs which provide such evidence. There is, for example, a Babylonian clay tablet which records Nebuchadnezzar's siege of Jerusalem in 597 BC, as narrated in the book of Jeremiah.
For this book the author has selected over 70 such 'documents', mainly from western Asia, with some examples included from Greece, Egypt and Asia Minor, dating from the period of the Patriarchs to the New Testament times, c.2000 BC to c.AD 100. He transliterates and translates the ancient texts, which include cuneiform, Aramaic and Hebrew, and discusses the contribution they make to our knowledge of the culture and history of biblical times. Each object is illustrated in black and white.
Product code: cmc11551
Price category: £10 to £25
Title: The Bible in The British Museum
Subtitle: Interpreting the Evidence
Author: T.C. Mitchell
Number of pages: 136
llustrations: 78 b/w
Standard UK delivery: 5 working days. Overseas times may vary
Every purchase supports the Museum
Free UK delivery on all BMP books (up to a maximum of 5kg).
Delivery charges for the rest of the world: are calculated depending on the weight (kg) and destination of the order.
Estimated Delivery times:
UK and Europe: 5 - 10 working days.
Rest of the world: 10 to 28 working days.
For more information, please see our full Delivery policy here
If for any reason you are not entirely happy with books and other products purchased from the shop, we will refund the value of the goods supplied. Please contact Customer Services directly on 0800 218 2222 (or from abroad on +44 (0)20 7079 0970) for individual advice.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds or exchanges on pierced earrings for hygiene reasons, unless they are faulty.
For more information, please see our full Returns policy here
- The Bible in the British Museum
- Add to bag
You may also like
- Add Late Egyptian Religious Texts for only £95.00
- From the Museum's remarkable collection of late hieratic religious papyri.
Add Christian Art for only £8.00
- An innovative 21st-century approach to the nature of Christian art past and present.
- Add Byzantine crescent earrings for only £35.00
- Based on a pair of gold earrings said to have been found at Cyprus, and made around over 1000 years ago.
- Add Byzantine triple crescent necklace for only £55.00
- Based on a pair of gold earrings said to have been found at Lambousa, Cyprus, and made around AD 600.
- Add Medieval Cross Necklace for only £25.00
- An unusual double-sided and 22ct. gold-plated pendant, with amethyst coloured glass stones on one side and a ruby coloured stone on the reverse.