Catalogue of the Books of the Dead in the British Museum: vol. III
Members' price *
The Department of Ancient Egypt and Sudan in the British Museum preserves one of the most extensive collections outside Egypt of funerary papyri, among which the greatest number bear texts from the repertory known to the Ancient Egyptians as the Formulae for Going Forth by Day, and to modern scholarship as the Book of the Dead. These texts to secure eternal life for individual persons are first found written on papyri of the mid-18th dynasty, c.1450 BC, and the tradition survived until the 1st century BC, the beginning of the Roman period in Egypt. Several of the finest manuscripts were published in facsimile in the last century, but these editions are rarely available; with the present volume the Museum is continuing the publication of this important category of manuscript, rich in information on religious texts and iconography as well as in the history of manuscript production.The third volume in the series publishes the papyrus of Nebseni, an 18th dynasty copyist from the Temple of Ptah.
Product code: cmc19564
Exhibition: Journey through the afterlife
Price category: £100 to £500
World culture: Ancient Egypt
Title: Catalogue of the Books of the Dead in the British Museum
Subtitle: Volume III: The Papyrun of Nebseni
Author: Gunther Lapp
Number of pages: 208
llustrations: 100 b/w
Standard UK delivery: 5 working days. Overseas times may vary
Every purchase supports the Museum
Free UK delivery on all BMP books (up to a maximum of 5kg).
Delivery charges for the rest of the world: are calculated depending on the weight (kg) and destination of the order.
Estimated Delivery times:
UK and Europe: 5 - 10 working days.
Rest of the world: 10 to 28 working days.
For more information, please see our full Delivery policy here
If for any reason you are not entirely happy with books and other products purchased from the shop, we will refund the value of the goods supplied. Please contact Customer Services directly on 0800 218 2222 (or from abroad on +44 (0)20 7079 0970) for individual advice.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds or exchanges on pierced earrings for hygiene reasons, unless they are faulty.
For more information, please see our full Returns policy here
- Catalogue of the Books of the Dead in the British Museum: vol. III
- Add to bag
You may also like
- Add Catalogue of Terracottas in the British Museum for only £120.00
- Catalogue Of Terracottas in the British Museum, Vol. IV: Ptolemaic and Roman Terracottas from Egypt.
- Add Italian Renaissance ceramics for only £175.00
- A superb catalogue of the British Museum collection of Italian Renaissance pottery, published in two volumes with a slipcase, ribbon and real cloth binding.
- Add Egyptian Falcon replica for only £275.00
- A replica of an ancient Egyptian sculpture of a falcon, the animal representation of the god Horus.