The Parthenon Frieze
Members' price *
The artistic genius of Athens in the 5th century BC reached its peak in the sculpted marble reliefs of the Parthenon Frieze. Designed by Phidias and carved by a team of anonymous masons, the Frieze adorned the temple of Athena on the Acropolis and represents a festival procession in honour of the Olympian gods. Through photographs and drawings, this authoritative book reconstructs the Frieze in its entirety according to the most up-to-date research, with a detailed scene-by-scene commentary. The superb quality of the carving is revealed in a series of close-up photographs. The original composition of the Frieze and its precise meaning have long been the subject of lively debate. In his introductory text, Ian Jenkins places the Frieze in its architectural, historical and artistic setting. He discusses the various interpretations suggested by previous scholars, and finally puts forward a new view of his own.
Product code: cmc22373
Price category: £10 to £25
World culture: Ancient Greece
Title: The Parthenon Frieze
Author: Ian Jenkins
Number of pages: 120
llustrations: 4 colour and 92 b/w
Standard UK delivery: 5 working days. Overseas times may vary
Every purchase supports the Museum
Free UK delivery on all BMP books (up to a maximum of 5kg).
Delivery charges for the rest of the world: are calculated depending on the weight (kg) and destination of the order.
Estimated Delivery times:
UK and Europe: 5 - 10 working days.
Rest of the world: 10 to 28 working days.
For more information, please see our full Delivery policy here
If for any reason you are not entirely happy with books and other products purchased from the shop, we will refund the value of the goods supplied. Please contact Customer Services directly on 0800 218 2222 (or from abroad on +44 (0)20 7079 0970) for individual advice.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds or exchanges on pierced earrings for hygiene reasons, unless they are faulty.
For more information, please see our full Returns policy here
- The Parthenon Frieze
- Add to bag
You may also like
- Add Greek Architecture and its Sculpture for only £25.00
- The perfect illustrated introduction to classical Greek architectural sculpture.
- Add The Parthenon Sculptures in the British Museum for only £25.00
- A photographic tour of the most famous sculptures from Ancient Greece.
- Add Golden Age of Persian Art for only £19.99
- Discover Safavid painting and the conservation of works on paper, architecture, archaeology, textiles and ceramics.
- Add Replica Parthenon Frieze fragment for only £225.00
- Stunning replica fragment from the North Frieze of the Parthenon.