Members' price *
25.00 Save £15.00
This book brings together for the first time many stunning Polynesian objects gathered during the early period of contact with European voyagers, missionaries and settlers. The book will present, in eight thematic sections, around 270 items with short captions, including sculptures in wood and stone; feather and basketry images; feather cloaks; wood bowls; decorated bark cloths; and ornaments and valuables of ivory, shell, bone and nephrite. The objects will be drawn from the major regions of Polynesia: the Society Islands (Tahiti), Austral Islands, Cook Islands, Marquesas Islands, Hawaii, Easter Island, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and New Zealand. Two introductory essays will place the objects in their cultural and historical contexts. The first will focus on the role, meaning and interpretation of Polynesian art and material culture; the second on the history of the collection of this material by explorers (Cook et al.), missionaries and traders, and the routes by which it eventually came to
Product code: cmc25756
Price category: £10 to £25
World culture: Oceania
Title: Pacific Encounters
Subtitle: Art & Divinity in Polynesia 1760-1860
Author: Steven Hooper
Number of pages: 272
llustrations: 320 colour and 10 b/w
Standard UK delivery: 5 working days. Overseas times may vary
Exclusive web priceEvery purchase supports the Museum
Free UK delivery on all BMP books (up to a maximum of 5kg).
Delivery charges for the rest of the world: are calculated depending on the weight (kg) and destination of the order.
Estimated Delivery times:
UK and Europe: 5 - 10 working days.
Rest of the world: 10 to 28 working days.
For more information, please see our full Delivery policy here
If for any reason you are not entirely happy with books and other products purchased from the shop, we will refund the value of the goods supplied. Please contact Customer Services directly on 0800 218 2222 (or from abroad on +44 (0)20 7079 0970) for individual advice.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds or exchanges on pierced earrings for hygiene reasons, unless they are faulty.
For more information, please see our full Returns policy here
- Pacific Encounters
- Add to bag
You may also like
- Add The American Scene for only £25.00
- Spectacular images of American society and culture including prints from Hopper to Pollock.
- Add Treasures of the British Museum for only £25.00
- A must-have celebration of the highlights from the British Museum's world-famous collections.
- Add Snake single coil ring for only £40.00
- Sterling silver hallmarked.
- Add Egyptian turquoise figurine (Hippo) for only £40.00
- A hippo made from hand-fired earthenware in faience blue.
- Add Asante scarf for only £30.00
- This scarf reflects the warmth and vibrancy of African culture.