Miao Textiles from China
Members' price *
The richly woven and embroidered textiles explored in this book belong to the Miao minority group of Guizhou province in South-West China. The Miao's elaborate festival costumes are not only their most important possessions, but can be consideredthe major living visual art form of their culture. Over 20 such textiles from the British Museum's collection are examined and illustrated here in detail and will undoubtedly provide designers at all levels with inspiration for new and unexpectedways for using colour and pattern in their own work. The author provides the background information to bring the pieces to life, looking at the origins of the Miao, their distinctive textiles and costumes, when and how they are worn, the materialsand dyes used, the principal weaving techniques employed, and the decorative techniques, patterning and stitches that distinguish one group from another.
Product code: cmc27422
Gift recipient: For women
Price category: £10 to £25
World culture: Asia
Title: Miao Textiles from China
Subtitle: Fabric Folios
Author: Gina Corrigan
Number of pages: 88
llustrations: 100 colour
Standard UK delivery: 5 working days. Overseas times may vary
Every purchase supports the Museum
Free UK delivery on all BMP books (up to a maximum of 5kg).
Delivery charges for the rest of the world: are calculated depending on the weight (kg) and destination of the order.
Estimated Delivery times:
UK and Europe: 5 - 10 working days.
Rest of the world: 10 to 28 working days.
For more information, please see our full Delivery policy here
If for any reason you are not entirely happy with books and other products purchased from the shop, we will refund the value of the goods supplied. Please contact Customer Services directly on 0800 218 2222 (or from abroad on +44 (0)20 7079 0970) for individual advice.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds or exchanges on pierced earrings for hygiene reasons, unless they are faulty.
For more information, please see our full Returns policy here
- Miao Textiles from China
- Add to bag
You may also like
- Add World Textiles: a sourcebook for only £22.99
- An essential single-volume textile and design sourcebook. This book will provide endless sources of inspiration.
Add Textiles from Mexico for only £3.00
- The key features of striking Mexican textiles are highlighted and techniques and clothing styles explained.
- Add Printed and Dyed Textiles from Africa for only £10.99
- This book is a visual feast, illustrating the richness and diversity of the African textile tradition.
- Add African art in detail for only £14.99
- A new title in this beautiful and successful series of styles, decoration, motifs and patterns.