Objects in Focus Box Set
Members' price *
Objects in Focus is an innovative series of short, accessible books which serve as general introductions by telling the story of one key object. Each title explores evocative stories about where the objects came from, the hands they passed through before reaching the Museum, and their artistic and historical significance. Elegantly and spaciously designed, and including historical images placing the objects in all their contexts, this box set is great value and is a superb gift or souvenir.
- The Rosetta Stone contains a decree written three times in Greek, Demotic and hieroglyphic that provided the key to deciphering the mysterious hieroglyphic script of ancient Egypt, and opened up 3,000 years of that country’s history and culture.
- The Gayer-Anderson Cat has been one of the most admired objects at the British Museum since its arrival in 1947. This book presents a detailed description of the cat and a discussion of its possible meaning and role in ancient times.
- The Sutton Hoo Helmet has been a highly evocative symbol of Anglo- Saxon England since its discovery in 1939.
- The Lewis Chessmen were probably made in Norway around AD 1150– 1200. These enchanting chess pieces consist of elaborately worked walrus ivory and whales’ teeth in the forms of seated kings and queens, mitred bishops, knights on their mounts, standing warders and pawns. A hugely popular attraction at the Museum, especially since they featured in the Harry Potter films.
- Hoa Hakananai‘a, or ‘stolen/hidden friend’, is one of the instantly recognizable statues from Easter Island.
Product code: cmc50871
Details: Slipcase + Paperback x 5
Price category: £10 to £25
Authors: Richard Parkinson - The Rosetta Stone, Neal Spencer - The Gayer-Anderson Cat, Sonja Marzinzik - The Sutton Hoo Helmet, James Robinson - The Lewis Chessmen, Jo Anne Van Tilburg - Hoa Hakananai'a.
ISBN: 978 0 7141 5087 1
Number of pages: 64 pages per book
Size: 5 books at 210 x 147mm
llustrations: 30 colour, 5 b/w illus per book
Publication date: July 2010
Standard UK delivery: 5 working days. Overseas times may vary
Preorder information - this product has not been released yet, but you can order now and we will despatch it to you once we receive stock. You will not be charged until your order is ready for despatch.Every purchase supports the Museum
Free UK delivery on all BMP books (up to a maximum of 5kg).
Delivery charges for the rest of the world: are calculated depending on the weight (kg) and destination of the order.
Estimated Delivery times:
UK and Europe: 5 - 10 working days.
Rest of the world: 10 to 28 working days.
For more information, please see our full Delivery policy here
If for any reason you are not entirely happy with books and other products purchased from the shop, we will refund the value of the goods supplied. Please contact Customer Services directly on 0800 218 2222 (or from abroad on +44 (0)20 7079 0970) for individual advice.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds or exchanges on pierced earrings for hygiene reasons, unless they are faulty.
For more information, please see our full Returns policy here
- Objects in Focus Box Set
- Add to bag
You may also like
- Add Masterpieces of the British Museum for only £18.99
- The huge scope of the collections provide a stunning overview of mankind's artistic production globally.
- Add Treasures of the British Museum for only £25.00
- A must-have celebration of the highlights from the British Museum's world-famous collections.