This replica of a sculptural fragment was originally part of a pair of statues showing a man and his wife seated side by side. The wig and dress are typical of a noblewoman of the New Kingdom, Ancient Egypt.
Both the pleats in the dress and the thick strands of the wig are clearly visible in this sculpture, as is the jewellery. The dress, which would have been made from white linen, is elaborately pleated; in reality it would not have been as close fitting as it appears on the stylized sculpture. Ancient Egyptians often shaved their heads or had their hair cropped very short and wore intricate wigs instead. Around the neck is a beaded collar, probably a representation of one made from semi-precious stones like lapis, cornelian and turquoise, or glass paste (faience). The diadem placed on the head over the wig is patterned all the way around and has a lotus flower decoration at the front. This replica has been adapted from a mould of the limestone original which dates from the late 18th dynasty, around 1350 BC.